Sunday, March 19, 2006

more ebay hijinks

I recently sold a cordless keyboard and mouse on ebay. I went to check my feedback and saw this, which was labeled “negative feedback”:

“Seller listed item shipped by UPS but received by USPS. Overcharged on Shipping.”

Wow, this guy is actually upset about me using the post office and not UPS??? Talk about picky.

I left this reply:

Shipping stated upfront and reasonable. Shipped by USPS a no-no? picky, picky!”

And then went on to leave this negative feedback on his feedback thing:

“Did you really leave bad feedback for using USPS instead of UPS? Pathetic”

I then checked my email and saw these messages: (the days when they are received are shown)

FRIDAY:
Hello, Just checking on the status of the auction that I won. Do you have a UPS tracking number for this item? Please let me know. Thanks. John

SATURDAY:

I received the item today. And besides the issue that you stated in you listing that it would be shipped by UPS and it arrived by USPS, it is also silver in color. The box shows it as being black. I need a black keyboard and mouse as my computer is black. I am open to suggestions as to how to rectify this situation. Thanks

I was totally insulted and shocked that this guy had the nerve to give me a hard time about using the post office. Plus, the color of the keyboard was shown in the picture and the shipping was totally reasonable.

Since this guy already left me negative feedback, I decided to devote some time into letting him have it. **after re-reading this, I realized this was way overkill, but it was pretty funny too.** Here is my reply to his last message:


my "suggestion" would be not to leave bad feedback before allowing the seller to mitigate the situation. This tends to upset the seller and make them not want to help you.

other suggestions would be:

1) look at the picture of what you are buying. In this case, there is a sticker that is SILVER, and says COLOR on it. *readers: see picture below.

2) try not to insult sellers by leaving feedback on details about the transaction that bear no real consequence. For instance, how the package gets there. is it really that important that it came by USPS and not UPS?

3) don’t include fabrications in feedback. I didn’t overcharge shipping. I stated the amount of shipping up front, and when you won the auction, you agreed to pay it. How is that overcharging? If you thought the shipping was unreasonable, you should have not bought the item. Further, if I remember correctly, the shipping was within 2 dollars of the $10.00 that was said. But, I want to be a good sport, so, if you send me a self addressed envelope I can mail you the difference. I will use regular postal mail, I hope that meets your standards.

4) my last suggestion would be to reevaluate your priorities in life. A good start would be not to invest time and energy into making your keyboard and computer match in color. Also, try not to find minor faults in people’s actions and try to see the good in the people and things around you. Tell someone that you love them, go pick a flower, or have a picnic in a soft meadow. It will make you feel better and worrying about keyboards will be a thing of the past.

After taking my suggestions, I suggest you message me back and we can chat about your progress.

Was I too hard on him, what do you think?

*picture in question

Comments:
it does look black...but i like the response. pretty funny.
 
You were too hard on him with item number 4, but that was the funniest item so it was worth it. I thought the keyboard was black except for a little silver.
 
I think it was appropriate. Has he responded?
 
Try some alternatives. Sell what people buy on eBay. Check this:
http://hotitemfinder.hereweb.com
 
right after I wrote this reply, i decided not to send it. I decided just to let it blow over and a snappy reply like this was a little overboard.

then, today, he wrote back and again chastized me for using USPS.

so, i sent the message but excluded #4, which was a little too harsh, which sass pointed out.

will keep you updated with his/her reply.
 
you should have let him have it the first time - he had it coming
 
on the ebay posting, there is a small and large version. I would say that it is larger than the version that you see when you click on the picture on this blog.

I wouldn't have been such an ass if he had handled it better. in fact, if he starts being nicer I might refund him.
 
The keyboard looks black! To be honest i would be annoyed if i bought something and it turned up silver. The postal issue is nonsense but maybe by that time the guy was fed up up with the 'silver' issue and then decided to pick holes......Basically you should have made it more clear the keyboard was SILVER.Your fault i think.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?