Sunday, November 30, 2008
Nightstand Saga I
This is installment 1 of me going in to excruciating detail about making matching nightstands. If you do not appreciate anecdotes about my private carpentry projects, I hear YouTube has some good stuff.
Anyway, Nightstands. I have already planned what it will look like, after looking at some models online.
The next step was selecting the wood. My dad has some cherry, oak, and black walnut that he said he would let me use. Normally, selecting the black walnut would have been a no-brainer, due to it's complex and deep grain, but it didn't really match my other bedroom peices, my bed and lingerie dresser in color (they are white walnut). I ultimately decided to use it regardless of the fact that it will be much darker then my white walnut pieces, simply because it is so darn beautiful (click on pics below)!
I worked for the better part of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning selecting the wood, and cutting out oversized blanks for what will become the crucial pieces of the nightstands.
I started out with the widest boards for the table-tops. I went ahead and glued them up and put them aside.
I then started to make the side panels (again, see this link for what the piece will look like).
Here is what some of them look like dry-fitted together, but without the center panel.
Here are two. the one on the right is partially disassembled so you can see the construction type.
On this piece, I decided to make the rails and styles (the horizontal and vertical boards) mate using a mortise and tenon joint.
I am pretty sure that this was overkill for this type of joint and normally I would not have done it this way, but I wanted to try a new joint type on this piece. Also, for those of you who speak carpentry, because this piece has legs, I have to do a blind-dato, and I also didn't know how to square-off my dato where my bottom style was.
It required the use of a mortising chisel, which is like a drill press with a square chisel surrounding the drill bit.
I have never used one, but I have seen Norm do it, and it was pretty simple.
here it is in action:
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Which Bedside Table Should I Make? UPDATED AGAIN!!!!
I plan on making 2 bedside tables this Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday.
As you can see in this ongoing post, which documents all of my furniture projects, I have already made 2 peices out of White Walnut: my head board, and a lingerie dresser for my wife.
I would like these to match those two peices as close as possible, in style, wood type, and finish, while also looking good by it's self. I found the following pictures on the www (which is my typical MO when making a new peice) and I plan to make one just like these. I'd like everyone's opinion, and you can vote for a number in the comments.
I will be using Black Walnut (my dad is out of White Walnut) and finishing to match my other two peices the best I can. Please don't consider the finish and wood type. If you need a reference, the 5th one looks most like the wood and finish I will be using. You'll notice these all look about the same. This is true. I picked them out because they look like the would match the lingerie dresser I already did. ( my next peice will probably be a chest-of-drawers to match everything!)
My opinions are in the comments.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Sunday, November 09, 2008
Finishing the basement ii
In the picture above, you can see all of the plumbing we had to do. The good people who built this house took the effort to bury a stub for a tub drain. All it took was breaking up the concrete to get to it. They also put in a 4" stub, that came out of the floor for the toilet. When my dad and I did the pluming, we were sure there was no such thing as a 4" toilet flange (the thing that the toilet attaches to) , so we dug everything up and replaced it with 3". The little rag on the floor is where the toilet will go. The vanity will be on your left. I also had to run fresh water to the bathroom, which was probably a 2 day job. Finishing basements is tough work.
Labels: Finishing basement