Monday, April 10, 2006

pop verses soda

Upon entering college, I noticed right away that people called "coke", "pop". I went to IU in Bloomington, and I figured out that it was mostly people from the central and north (and out of state) that said this. I was overpowered, and eventually assimilated. It was a good choice. I think it is more descriptive of soft drinks. I was also shocked to see the lack of Big Red soda anywhere in central Indiana.

I of course new from this experience that this was just in the vernacular of north/central Indiana, and didn’t put much more thought into, although I often wondered what part of the country said what. So I was very happy when I stumbled on this website that shows the distribution of people that call soft drinks: pop, soda, coke, and other.

Enjoy!

what do you say, and where are you located?

Comments:
i love this! where did you find it?? having lived in different parts of the country and done some traveling this is always a hot topic (right up there with politics). this map is right on. growing up in the midwest i said "pop", my college roommate from the south called it "coke", after i moved to the east coast i started calling it "soda" and have continued to since living on the west coast.

hey, i wonder what it would look like if you put up another map with the different region's IQ's plotted out to do a little comparison. i mean, don't people from the south know that "coke" is a brand?? haha, jk.
 
I say "soda". I live in southern IN, but am from east/central IN. I also think Big Red is the nastiest drink available adn was surprised at how many people around here drink it. When people ask if I want a Big Red and I say I don't like it, they instantly respond with, "You're not from around here, are you?". NOPE!
 
I agree, Diet Dr. M is so much better.
 
all soft drinks are "cokes" - i had to endure 6 years of that "pop" crap in w. lafayette.

btw, big red is the best drink in the world, and poured over vanilla iced cream" is a little slice of heaven.
 
ratty, i'm so with you with the IQ thing! such a good idea! i now call them sodas...not sure why...i just think it sounds more fun! or i say "fountains" as was said in college...of course only referring to sodas from a fountain :)
i can't believe there is a website with such detail!
 
if you want a treat, you should read some of the people's response. alot of the "other" catagory is people saying stuff like "fartjuice" or "sodie".

good stuff.

you know, big red IS nasty. i hate it, it doesn't taste like anything.

melissa, you are so cute. your husband must be handsome and clever.
 
you should see my husband, fooie! ooooo, weeeeee! he's a hottie-pa'ottie
 
I always said coke, but it seems wrong. It's like you're advertising for Coca-cola or are brainwashed by them or something. My instinct is always to say coke, but I usually find another way to say it. If I'm offering a drink I usually offer a variety of drinks besides soft drinks and i say exactly what I have. If I'm asking for a drink I usually say coke because that is exactly the kind of soft drink I want. See, brainwashed.
 
paulie, it isn't their fault that it took you 6 years to graduate college.

tee hee!
 
here is another humorous "other":

"the sweet shimmering dookie juice"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?