Friday, February 16, 2007

Cold

I am pretty sure my version of hell is as cold as it is outside this very moment. That is all my hell would be. Me on a park bench in 5 degree weather. I am about ready to move into a volcano.

One of the worst things about the cold as getting cold feet. From the end of November to mid-March my feet are in a constant state of uncomfortableness due to the cold. The only time they are warm is after I have been in bed for an hour or so, and I am asleep so I don't know they are warm. Sometimes when I have the chance, I use an electric blanket to warm up my toesies. I am going to start bringing it to work.

I work about a half mile from where I park. The path that I took was encumbered by at least three 2-3 foot piles of snow and trekking through 10-12 inch snow drifts. Although most of the snow was already tamped-down by previous people going into work. Let me say this though. I am glad I have my glam hiking boots. Wearing loafers in these kind of ground conditions would only exacerbate my cold-foot situation.

In the past 3 years I have worked with numerous lesbians and met their girlfriends. Like me, all of them tend to wear hiking boots (even in non-hiking situations). I am not sure what to think about this coincidence.

Hiking boots help with traction as well. Last week I slipped. I had my hands in my pockets so I couldn't break my fall with my hands. I had to awkwardly twist my body mid-fall to keep from breaking the fall with my face. Don't worry though, the entire weight of my 185-lb frame landed on my keys which was conveniently re-directed to my hip.

When I was at IU-Bloomington I had one of the most disastrous and embarrassing falls in a life time. Again, I had my hands in my pockets, so any last-ditch graceful recovery was out of the question. I was walking down an inclined walkway, that apparently someone sabotaged by spraying it with a garden hose. I saw the ice yet decided to walk on it anyway. I saw about a dozen people walk around it moments before I fell. But I thought that somehow I was special and the low-friction rules of ice didn’t apply to me.

Anyway, I slipped and my feet went backwards and the rest of my body went forward. Since it was an incline, I somehow negotiated the fall to where I did a front flip and landed on my back with my legs and arms sprawled. People laughed and some 90 lb Asian girl helped me up.

I guess that is what I get for being cocky. And thus the circle is complete.

Okay, I have had enough of these cold feet. I am going to go get some coffee to pour into my boots.


P.S. I just bought $133 a piece tires for $74 a piece online. They didn’t have the $74 tires so the salesmen hooked me up with their primo $133 tires for free! I hope someone is happy about this monumental deal because no one else seems to care.

Comments:
I'll keep this blog-spam because I am so impressed with the creative name.
 
Doing a flip is the most ridiculous was to fall. It sounds like a movie fall. Are you sure you aren't thinking of "Home Alone"? Maybe yoga would help circulate warm blood to your feet.
 
here was my response to this exciting news: "wow! you really got a good deal! i think the triple tread will be good in the snow. i wonder how he could do that - they must have lost money on them."

either i am "no one", or you have unrealistic expectations about others happiness over your tire purchasing prowess.
 
I forgot about you paulie. my fault.

I should have said everyone BUT you.
 
not lovin the boots but jasmin sells electric socks at her work for real
 
That is an interesting business model. Not sure what the ROI is on that, but I am sure they would be better off selling the electric socks for money.
 
blog more blogs
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?