Thursday, May 01, 2008

Paranoid Fantasies

When I am in bed, I am in a almost-constant state of paranoia. Oftentimes, in the moments before I sleep, I have thoughts about how people are going to sneak into my house, and without a sound, burst into my room and slay me in my bed.

Many times, these thoughts pervade my dreams, and I waken in the night suspecting that there really IS someone in the house. Sometimes I will search the entire house, but if I am feeling extra nervous, instead of going down the stairs and confronting the imaginary criminals, (where they could easily ambush me), I look out the window for signs of a get-away vehicle or listen intently in bed, at my bedroom door, or at the top of the stairs for further evidence of them sneaking about. I haven’t yet, but should I ever hear anything suspicious, I would have to jump into directly into attack-mode, which believe me, is so frightening it is beyond description.

Sometimes just waking up sends me into these panicky fits. The worst is when I wake up suddenly and for no reason in the middle of the night. If there is no obvious sound (such as a dog continuously barking), it bothers me because I don’t know the reason I woke up, and I lay in bed and wonder what made the mystery sound that woke me up but I can’t hear anymore. At that point, I can only assume that it is a burglar that made the noise, and they then realized their mistake, and would be extra sneaky on their way up to assassinate me.

Often after I get woken up abruptly, I fantasize about what the gang of maniacs are doing at that moment in my kitchen, and how I most effectively could dispatch them. After some thought, I realize that if someone really wanted to get me, even if I knew about it, there is little I could do about it unarmed and in my underwear in bed. This leads to more paranoia and less sleep (and some walking around, see above). Other times, I am too sleepy to care or I rationalize the situation based on the facts that A): I haven’t met anyone in my entire life that has had their house broken into , B): I live in an upper-middle-class neighborhood in rural South Eastern Indiana, far from the bad guys, and C): I don’t have anything really worth stealing or anyone that wants to kill me. Makes sense.

My only explanation for this behavior is that ever since we have had my daughter, I have had it in my head that I am now the guardian of my wife and daughter, who cannot defend themselves from the likes of the drugged-up murderous thieves that exist only in my mind. This mentality has festered in my brain to the point where I am obsessed about it and I continually go through these scenarios where someone would actually want to hurt one or all of us, and how to deal with them. These thoughts tend to happen in bed at night, where we are arguably the most vulnerable. These thoughts could be typical of fatherhood, or boarder-line psychotic, I am not sure. I also might simply just have an unrealistic fear of people getting us.

I thought I’d share it, because at this point, it is really kind of ridiculous. Anybody out there relate? Comments?

Comments:
it is always fun being woken up by you getting out of bed and looking out the window then asking ME what woke YOU up, which usually always is answered with me saying, "i don't know, honey." yet you still ask, every time :) hee hee! glad you are my protector though! what's funny is you give me ahard time about being scared and really YOU are the one with the most phobias. you forgot to tell people of the many weapons you stash under the bed!
 
thanks for spilling the beans, melissa. that was my only real advantage.
 
here is my thought:
you need sedatives, or professional help, or stop watching scary movies or something

btw, that noise was me looking for some clean socks
 
If it is seriously affecting your sleep that much then I would suggest a sleep aid.

A gun in a lock box may put your mind at ease. Even if you did not buy any bullets for it, it might be used just to scare people away.

A home alarm is a good idea as well. It will add value to your house and may make your insurance go down.
 
i guess i don't lose alot of sleep over it, i might have embellished too much.

i really just think about it way too much for my tastes. I'd say I think about it 50% of the time in the 5-10 minutes it takes me to go to sleep.

the kicker is if i wake up unexpectantly, like I described in the blog. that is when i get the most paranoid. that is when i roam around the house. I think I do that b/c I know i will find nothing, so I can assure myself and get back to sleep.

i am a weirdo.

as far as scary movies go, watching "no country for old men" did not help matters.
 
Maybe you could make one of those kick ass air guns and keep it next to the bed.
 
Don't you have faith in Cooper's abilities to fight off the bad guys?
 
THis probably won't help your fear, but once my uncle who lives in rural Allen County woke up with someone going through his dresser drawers about 5 feet from him in bed. The best part was that he chased the burglar out of the house and down the one road of the "subdivision" buck naked.

That still makes me laugh.
 
I spend a fair amount of time worrying that low-flying airplanes are going to crash on my house.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?