Tuesday, June 23, 2009

June Stuff

I thought I'd go ahead and get you peeps updated with what June has been like.


As you know from the post below, in early June I finished my Nightstands. I'd say that my audience's reactions to that post ranged from mildly aware to vaguely interested. No seriously, thanks for all of the comments.

That weekend I also spent alot of time fixing up my house. With the help of my wife and daughter, I installed a powered roof vent on the top of my 2 story house. Our upstairs gets hot, and it should cut down our electrical bill due to running the AC. My roof has a very steep roof and I thought I was doomed for sure multiple times. But it is up there now, and I am sure it has turned on at least once in the past month.

Cha-ching!

Also this month, Alex and I went to the "Daddy-Daughter Ball" at the local YMCA. The time leading up to this event was a big deal in our house. Alex kept talking about how we were "getting married" (me the prince, and her the princess), and I envisioned us doing some dancing and just spending some time together. We generally have good times. All-in-all, expectations were met. There were plenty of photo-ops, cookies, dancing, fanfare, and her favorite, Princesses!


Cinderella in blue, Alex in pink/white, Snow White on right




Yes, some local teens dressed up as some of Alex's favorite Disney Princesses (her latest obsession), and she was in hog-heaven. At first, I was stoked that she could hang out with her idols, but then she really got out of control, and wouldn't leave them alone for 5 minutes. I tried to pull her away from them, so we could dance, talk, or do an activity, but during these times she just plotted on how to ditch me and return to them.

To give you an idea, here is a video. This went on for 1.5 hours virtually non-stop (I managed to get one slow dance, one fast dance, a hokie-pokie, and a chicken dance).








I kept trying to get her to dance/play with me, but at some point I just gave up and stood against the wall. I also talked to some of the other dads, who kind of depressed me. At the end she was really getting grumpy, and we were lucky to leave without a tantrum. Too much excitement for one night. Again, it had some downsides, but was a fun night for us both.

I have been working on various small projects as well. My bike, Cars, etc. I recently wanted to make some corn-hole boards.

I decided to paint the likeness of Chuck Norris on them. For those of you not in the know, google "chuck Norris facts".


corn hole boards*


I think they turned out pretty well, but they could probably be mistaken for the Marlboro Man, or some random hat-wearing man with a handsome beard. I think they are flippin' awesome.


Sunday was also father's day, which I got to spend with my dad and also my daughter and wife. I got some cool gifts, including a Rubik Cube, which I would like to try to solve unaided. I was inspired to become an expert on one ever since last saturday when I saw Will Smith solve one in a cab ride in "The Pursuit of Happiness".




* For some reason Blogger rotated this image when I uploaded it. It may have been due to the awesome power of Chuck Norris's image.

Comments:
You should put those Chuck Norrises on a t-shirt.

So far, Daphne has no interest in princesses.
 
i think i should too.

while princess movies are far less entertaining then the backyardigans, i still think her obsession with them is pretty cute.
 
That video cracks me up. I can't imagine that screaming for more than then 8 second video. That will be a night she'll remember for a long time I bet.

Looking forward to cornholing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?